Stay Strong When You Feel Weak

Link Posted on Updated on

I had a hard time writing this blog. I was in such a terrible mood when I got home from work, but I knew I could not leave you clueless on how my first day of work went. For starters, I had a hard time falling asleep last night because I was so anxious and nervous about my first day as an intern with Media Inc. I woke up around 7 a.m. and got ready. Navy pants, green tank top and a navy and white striped blazer. Business casual. It was raining, so I had an umbrella in one hand and my phone, with directions, in other. I walked a couple blocks to the R subway station, jumped aboard and found my way to work with no problem. Of course, I had to stop by Starbucks for a morning latte before going to work. is located on Canal Street, which is a busy street in the Manhattan neighborhoods of Chinatown and SoHo. I had to be at work at 10 a.m., so I ended up getting there at 9:15 a.m. “The early bird catches the worm.” Except, that saying did not really work out for me too well. The Founder, Mimi, and the Co-founder, Kristin, did not get there until around 10:15 a.m. Once they had gotten there, everything ran smoothly. First, Kristin helped me set up my Email address and then she went over all of the social media networks uses. For example,, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Tumblr. As an intern, my responsibilities are to spot street style, assistance in the office and serve as an “Ambassador” for If you are interested in knowing more about, please go check out and follow us on Twitter at @threadstyle. It is a very relaxed, laid back environment. Mimi and Kristin are best friends, in their late 20s, who started this company together. Mimi graduated with a Business (Finance) degree and Kristin with a Fashion Design degree. is still under renovations and will not fully launch until Fall 2012. As an intern, I am also responsible for testing the website and giving the team my feedback. I learned a lot on my first day; I actually felt a bit overwhelmed with all the information I had to take in. On top of that, I had the worst sore throat. Kristin and I took our lunch break around 2:30 p.m. We went to a deli around the corner and brought it back to eat. Today, I put business card information in to Excel, searched for events in NYC to attend and spot style, scheduled those events in our calendar and actively engaged in’s social media sites. I worked until about 6:30 p.m. and then Mimi invited me to dinner. I was so ready to be home because I was not feeling well. At this point, my body was aching, I had a headache and I still had my sore throat. We did not leave the office until about 7:30 p.m. We walked to Lower East Side Manhattan and ate at an Italian restaurant called Mangiami. It was a little “hole in the wall” restaurant with a menu I could barely understand. “Too fancy, fancy!” Mimi’s boyfriend met us for dinner. I was glad I was given the opportunity to meet him. He owns his own social media advertising company called and travels back and forth between NY and San Francisco. After dinner, Mimi and I went to a dessert placed called Rice to Riches. They had different flavors, like ice cream, but it was rice pudding. Both Mimi and I had chocolate chip rice pudding. It was such an interesting and different dessert. I am sorry I did not take any pictures of my experiences tonight, but I honestly was feeling miserable and just wanted to get home. After dessert, it was dark and I had to walk a block to catch the subway home. Because I was in a new part of New York, I was unfamiliar with the subway line and was pretty nervous. Mimi reminded me, “Be confident and do not make eye contact with or talk to anyone.” Right when she finished telling me that, a guy passed me and complimented me on my eyes. I was so scared that I did not say anything, and Mimi had to thank him for me. Oops! I immediately got on the phone with my dad as I walked to the subway station, until we lost connection. After about three stops on the subway, I noticed I was going the wrong direction. I was going uptown, instead of downtown. I tried to keep calm. I knew I would find my way home, but I was just so tired and worn out. After asking a couple of people for help, I was on the right train. My dad was worried sick. Once I arrived to Court Street, I called him and talked to him on my walk home. It was cold and windy, my body was aching and sore, and I just wanted to break down and cry. It was nice to talk to my dad because he was able to comfort me. I stopped by the CVS on my way home to pick up some medicine and orange juice, but it were closed. When I got home, Jessica, Kathrina and Jordan were all in the room waiting to here about my day. I had to smile when I walked in to my room because it felt good to be reunited with my friends. I took some Tylonel and crawled in to bed. What a day. Not to mention, I did not get to talk to Sean because he was already asleep by the time I got home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s